[techtalk] Registering DNS servers

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Tue Apr 10 14:17:07 EST 2001

Mary Gardiner wrote:

> I thought that there were actually two more or less independent procedures.
>
> 1) Registering a domain name, which can be done through endless registrars.
>
> 2) Registering a DNS server, which must be done though Network Solutions.
>
> So can you only run a DNS server if you registered through network solutions, or
> is there something I'm missing?

If you're in the domains (.com at least, I believe others) which
Network Solutions administers, then whatever other registration
company you use, you're REALLY going through Network Solutions.
The other company just handles it for you. (for a fee)

If you're in other domains (.com.au, for instance) you deal with
whoever administers THAT domain, both for registration and for
registering your nameserver. In the .com.au case, I believe it's
AUNIC .. or maybe Melbourne IT. :/

Clear as mud? Good...

Jenn V.
(Actually, I hope that that has clarified things a little)

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/