[techtalk] tracking multiple admin logins?

Eric R. Turner turnere at cc.wwu.edu
Wed Apr 4 18:21:38 EST 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Dennis Wheeler wrote:

> The company I work for, develops software for Linux servers, and so have
> a need for various/multiple people to logon as root to various servers
> that are under development and being tested.
>
> Is there way to track who is logging in (as root), in order to better
> track who is making changes to which config files?

Use sudo as much as possible! It was designed for the issue you are
facing, and I believe is fairly standard across unix-like operating
systems. Also, consider keeping all of your config files in CVS. That way
not only can you track changes to the config files, but you can also
revert to any prior version if something gets messed up. It also makes a
nice centralized repository of your config files if you have multiple
servers that you want to have the same configuration.

$.02

Eric R. Turner

--
My public OpenPGP key can be found at