[techtalk] Linux and routers

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Wed Apr 4 13:49:00 EST 2001

It may help to know more about your network. The really weird thing about
your description of  your network is that you said that people can get to
the Internet by using either the NAT machine or the router as their gateway.
Does this mean that the NAT machine has a connection to the outside world
that does not go through the router (3)?

By the way, knowing where the DHCP server lives is pretty important. If it's
not on your network (if the router, for example, is forwarding DHCP requests
as in diagram 3), then you could reconfigure the router to not forward DHCP
requests. Instead, you could setup your own DHCP server. Of course, this
would probably make someone angry ...

1:

Internet - NAT - Router --+-- DHCP Server

                          +-- Workstation1

                          +-- Workstation2

                          +-- ...

2:

Internet - Router - NAT --+-- DHCP Server

                          +-- Workstation1

                          +-- Workstation2

                          +-- ...

3:

  Internet       Internet
    WAN - Router - NAT --+-- Workstation1
DHCP Server              +-- Workstation2

                         +-- ...