[techtalk] gdm returning error mesgs

Marie Fischer fmarie at eau.ee
Tue Apr 3 22:38:18 EST 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Kristin Ziel wrote:

> I rebooted my machine the other day, and now gdm returns error messages
> and won't start.
i think i know this ... with reboot intervals longer than 3 weeks, i just
don't remember everything i changed in between.

just some odd thoughts (i don't use gdm myself):

> -The X server starts
do you get any kind of screen or does it collapse before?

> -I get error messages <follows> stating that the client is not
> authorized to connect to the Xserver
> <snip>
> AUDIT: Mon Apr  2 01:08:55 2001: 4531 X: client 1 rejected from local host
> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server^M
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server^M
> </snip>
local host seems strange ...

> -The problem seems to be within xauth; when I run 'xauth generate :0' I
> get similar error messages.
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> xauth: (argv):1:  unable to open display ":0".
funny, i tried "xauth generate :0" in an xterm and i get the same error
messages :) i should really try & find out how x authentication works...

> -Strace from 'xauth generate :0' gives me the following.  I have only
> included what I feel is the pertinent section....
> <snip>
> link("/root/.Xauthority-c", "/root/.Xauthority-l") = 0
doing X stuff as root it not a good thing, i was told... but that's not
the problem here. what happens if you try just startx instead of gdm?
mind you, i don't really know what i'm talking about ... this is one of
the problems i'd want to have on my workstation - need to "feel" it to
solve it & i'd learn a lot solving it. oh well.

--
marie, feeling stupid