[techtalk] Does there exist...?

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Sat Sep 30 23:54:00 EST 2000

> This is correct.  The method originally described completely defeats the
> purpose of ssh X11 forwarding.  Note that for this to work, the
> sshd_config file on the remote machine must have a "X11Forwarding yes"
> line, and the "-X' directive can be eliminated by adding the line
> "ForwardX11 yes" for that host (or all hosts, if you'd like) in ssh_config
> on the client machine.

Honestly, my intent was not to securely do it, but just to get it
working... like I said I've only done it over trusted networks. ssh is how
I connect telnet-style by default...

I apologise for not making that clear, and I guess I deserved the not so
pleasant response I got for not doing so.

> aaron at raul ~ % echo $DISPLAY
> raul.munge.net:10.0
>
> This display (:10.0) is a 'fake' server that forwards the X app back to
> your client machine.  Note also that the display offset is configurable in
> sshd_config, it should default to 10, as seen above.

This is the official SSH step we were missing in what I described... I
never separated out the SSH x forwarding problem from just using xhost
*shrug* (excuse my lameness there)

-nicole