[techtalk] Issues after upgrading to RH 6.2

eito at cs.pdx.edu eito at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Sep 28 13:23:37 EST 2000

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 01:39:17PM -0400, Ryan Thibodeau wrote:
> 1. When I try to run netscape now, it fails with the error message:
>
> 	locale 'C' not supported. Perhaps the $XNLSPATH enviroment is not set
> correctly?
>
> 	Any ideas here?

This is odd to me because 'C' is the default locale. Try set XNLSPATH to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale.

First, in a shell prompt, you test with typing:

  env XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale netscape

If it looks okay, you can put the following line in the shell's config
file.

  XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale; export XNLSPATH (for sh)

  setenv XNLSPATH /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale (for csh)

> 2.   The upgrade decided on its own to install Gnome and make it the default
> desktop. I had been using KDE and a I prefer it, and I'd like to set it as
> the default desktop. 'usekde' used to do it, but that apparently isn't in
> the newest version of KDE. Anyone know how to make KDE the default desktop?

You can use 'switchdesk' if you installed it in your RH box. (you should
have it, I believe.)

HTH,

:eito