[techtalk] script help -- thanks!

alissa bader mol666 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 08:43:51 EST 2000

I would like to thank everyone who helped me with that
DNS script the other day.  This is how I wound up
writing it:

#!/bin/sh
# to fix secondary dns entries

for DOMAIN in `cat /tmp/ns1stuff`
do
       for DIR in `echo $DOMAIN |cut -c1`
        do
          echo "zone" '"'"$DOMAIN"'"' "{" >>
/etc/named.conf
          echo "        type slave;" >>
/etc/named.conf
          echo '        file "'$DIR'/db.'$DOMAIN'";'
>> /etc/named.conf
          echo "        masters {" >> /etc/named.conf
          echo "                204.177.32.2;" >>
/etc/named.conf
          echo "        };" >> /etc/named.conf
          echo "};" >> /etc/named.conf
          echo "" >> /etc/named.conf
        done

(excuse please the ratty formatting here, damned
web-based email crap)

I opted not to drop the toplevel domain off of every
domain name, as we might run into duplicates here.

cut, as it turns out, really is my friend.  :>

One thing I have noticed:  you have to be really
careful and specific when you define each variable and
for loop.  I have written a number of little scripts
that only ask for one variable.  And I was agonizing
for hours over how to define a second one.  Finally it
hit me to just add a for loop for it.  And wouldn't
you know it, it worked!

sed sounds like it's pretty much worth knowing,
although I didn't have to use it in this script.  time
to poke over the man pages!

again, thank you all so much, never could have gotten
it working without you.  :>

--alissa