[techtalk] X, port 6000 and how to stop it all.

Mary Gardiner mary at creative.net.au
Wed Sep 27 23:10:09 EST 2000

Hi,

As a random exercise in port-closing, I'm trying to stop X opening
6000. There was an article on rootprompt.org that suggested passing
'-nolisten tcp' to the incantation to start X.

Setup:
/etc/rc.d/xdm starts X, since I'm using Helix Gnome I assume from this
section of that script:

case "$DISPLAYMANAGER" in
    kdm|kde|KDM|KDE)	 DISPLAYMANAGER=/opt/kde/bin/kdm   ;;
    gdm|GDM|Gnome|GNOME) DISPLAYMANAGER=/opt/gnome/bin/gdm ;;
    *)			 DISPLAYMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm ;;
esac

that it eventually fires up gdm for me (I told it to use gdm during the
Helix Gnome install).

I tried passing '-nolisten tcp' to /opt/gnome/bin/gdm with no luck, in
fact it would appear from gdm's behaviour when passed '--help' and '-?' it
ignores command line parameters. I also don't have a man page for gdm and
xdm's is less than helpful.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Mary.