[techtalk] Low level formatting

shad shad at quotationlocation.com
Fri Sep 22 15:08:58 EST 2000

Well Lillis, as far as it goes, there are two types of partitions on any
hard disk. A low level format which prepares the disk surface for a
controller type and generates the disk interleaves and a high level format
which creats the filesystem et al. The low level format is called a
physical format, while the high level format is usually called a logical
format.

Physical formats shuld and always are done by the factory, a low lwvwl
format done from the bios is usually completely destructive to the disk as
that type of format is a legacy item from the days of RLL and othe large
form factor hd's. They are no longer used and most bioses no longer support
that option.

Best
Shad

PS, the way this mailing list is set up, if you wish to have messages go
back to the list, use the "reply to all" function as opposed to the "reply
to sender option" :-)

Cheers