[techtalk] Low level formatting

shad shad at quotationlocation.com
Thu Sep 21 19:54:08 EST 2000

Well, i would leave the low level format as a about to throw the hd in the
garbage option, as there is a very good chance that will perminantly trash
the surface. My suggestion is make sure the values printed on the lable
match what the bios is detecting. Turn off the bios virus checker if it is
on, and try turning off lba and 32 bit access if the bios supports that
option. set bios to highest reliabilit level, not speed/performance.

Next cruise the web and get the lates bios flash pack from the mb
manufacture, and then see if there are any firmware upgrades to the HD.
Goto the HD manufactures website and see if there any know issues with your
hardware combination.

Check that the cables are all firmly seated, and that the master/slave
settings are right. say try the hd with no cd attached, try the secondary
ide port. turn off s.m.a.r.t.

Dont low level format, the disk may not be broken, but it will be if you
do. :-)

Best
Shad