[techtalk] dump and restore?

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at imagedog.com
Thu Sep 7 14:59:23 EST 2000

Hello all-

I'm having some difficulty getting good intel on the linux dump/restore
utilities.  There is no howto that I could find (except in Japanese), and
the man pages, though helpful, are missing answers to some important
questions.

I'd like to be able to backup everything on a number of different linux
boxes (everything including OS, data, etc so that if necessary I can do a
"bare metal" recovery).  I'd like to use dump b/c I've been told tar messes
with dates of files, and b/c it has more useful features.  I have a plan for
the process; I just need to decide on which utility I'm going to use.

Any advice on where to turn?

Brian J. Sweeney
Systems Admin, imagedog.com
phone: 212.573.6611 ext. 186