[techtalk] Download throttling?

Harald Welte laforge at sunbeam.franken.de
Mon Sep 4 13:17:34 EST 2000

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 05:59:27PM +1100, Mary Gardiner wrote:

> > Apparently in Linux 2.2 or later, 'quality of service and fair
> > scheduling', under network options. All the facilities are
> > implemented by that. The IProute package is used to configure it.
> > And, to quote him, 'Good luck figuring out how'.
>
> Oops. My flatmates regarded this as a challenge...

There is documentation about this scheduling / 2.2 iproute2 stuff out
there. At first there is Alexey's documentation to iproute2 (the "ip" command)
which explains the Syntax. It is included in the iproute2 packages and is
called ip-cref.txt. Then there is http://www.ds9a.nl/2.4Routing/ which
describes the TC stuff very good.

> That's OK, except in the situation where I'm doing some Very Important
> Surfing and soeone else is running something commandliney like 'apt-get
> update'.

The problem with all this scheduling is: The entrance to the bottleneck
is on the other side of Your modem line.

You can easily schedule packets which are in the local transmit queue.
But You cannot schedule the packets in the queue on the other end.

The only chance I see is using the RED queue discipline, which only
works for tcp. RED simulates a congested link by dropping some of
the packets.

--
Live long and prosper
- Harald Welte / laforge at sunbeam.franken.de    http://www.sunbeam.franken.de