[techtalk] which distro?

Angela Nash Chick at the-nashes.net
Fri Sep 1 18:43:41 EST 2000

First off...up until this week there was a group working on a linux distro
similar to OpenBSD.  It was http://www.kha0s.org.  It looks like they
stopped this week, which is too bad.

The OpenBSD team puts a LOT of effort in to the security.  Not only is the
default install locked down pretty well, but all their default software is
code audited by the team to look for problems.  This is great.  A lot of
times there will be an exploit released for a package that OpenBSD fixed
months ago.

What the linux distributions should do more of, is look at the OpenBSD
change logs and follow a lot of their changes to catch things early.  And I
agree, the default installs should be much more secure.  Get rid of this
"install everything" approach.

Jason