[techtalk] debian and X

Nick Green wossname at mindless.com
Fri Sep 1 16:01:26 EST 2000

I recently installed Debian on my Toshiba laptop (with a little help from a coworker).  Everything was working fine for a while, and then X started working kinda funky.  The mouse currently doesn't work, and the display will work sometimes, and sometimes it will just come up to a black screen.  The odd part about this is that when I'm in XF86Setup, the mouse works fine.  Also, I stopped X from loading, went through xf86config, set everything up, and then launched X manually.  Everything worked fine.  I rebooted and let X come up automatically, and the problem was back.

To make a long story short (too late), I think I downloaded a package that caused some conflicts with my setup and X, but I'm not sure what it was.  What files would I have to remove from my system to dump all of the current hardware configurations and be able to re-configure all of those settings?  (or am I pretty much SOL?)

Thanks

Nick