[techtalk] IO and IRQ Question for Samsung NE2000 NIC

eito at cs.pdx.edu eito at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Oct 30 02:54:00 EST 2000

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 01:19:50AM -0800, Adrian Glover wrote:
>  I am configuring an old 486 to use Linux, and I am using a Samsung
> SC-1020TX ISA Network Card. It is NE-2000 compatible, but cannot be
> configured by auto-probe. I was wondering if anyone could help me to
> determine the io and irq settings for this card, either by some utility,
> or if you happen to know what those settings are.

Hi,

I had a similar problem when I installed a NE2000-compatible NIC on
my foster father's computer. I tried to find the IRQ number and IO
address by manually using insmod and rmmod until the ne(?) module
was loaded successfully. I think that I just used IRQ number, and
the module automatically found IO address.

You might no be able to find in this way because of IRQ conflicts.
In that case, you might have to find some utility program to
change IRQ and IO setting of the NIC, or disable some IRQ numbers
with your motherboard's BIOS setting.

HTH,

:eito