[techtalk] directory that is writable by web server process

m20bi m20bi at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 23 21:51:44 EST 2000

> /bin/mkdir ./foo
> chgrp nobody ./foo/
> chmod 770 ./foo/

Thanks so much Eric. The mod_dav module on my Apache server requires a
directory that is writable by the Apache process. I tried all variations of
directories and still I got "could not open the lock database" errors in the
httpd error_log.

Tonight -- oh happy night -- I was able to use MS Word and Web Folders on my
W98 machine to edit and save an HTML document stored on my Linux box. In
other words, at least one piece of the WebDAV module I've been struggling
with is now working. Thanks again. I was terribly frustrated.

> If at all possible you should store uploaded data into a database rather
> than on the filesystem. MySQL is free, and writing some Perl code to
> insert and retrieve data to and from the database via the CGI is fairly
> easy.

I used the Directory directive in httpd.conf to limit WebDAV (Web-based
Distributed Authoring and Versioning) to the dav directory in the
home/httpd/html directory.

Barbara