[techtalk] directory that is writable by web server process

Eric Richard Turner turnere at cc.wwu.edu
Sun Oct 22 21:28:07 EST 2000

Assuming the web server is running as nobody, make the directory, change
the group on the directory, then change the permissions. Here's an
example of making directory foo which is writeable by the httpd process:

/bin/mkdir ./foo
chgrp nobody ./foo/
chmod 550 ./foo/

If at all possible you should store uploaded data into a database rather
than on the filesystem. MySQL is free, and writing some Perl code to
insert and retrieve data to and from the database via the CGI is fairly
easy.

Eric R. Turner

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, m20bi wrote:

> I need to make a directory to which my web server process (httpd, I think)
> has read/write access. How do I go about doing this? I'm using RedHat 6.2
> and Apache 1.3.12. Barbara

My public OpenPGP key can be found at
http://www.wwu.edu/~turnere/turnere.asc