[techtalk] Weird network interface behaviour

Magni Onsoien magnio at pvv.ntnu.no
Thu Oct 19 11:50:53 EST 2000

We have a Linuxserver with a couple of NICs and several virtual interfaces
on them. When it was first installer (RH 6.1 or 6.0), it had kernel
2.2.6 and everything worked fine: we configured it with the hostname impala
on eth0 and added other names on the virtual interfaces eth:1-5 or so.
It then named itself impala to the world outside.

Then we upgraded the kernel to 2.2.14, and the behaviour changed: now it
suddenly started to announce the name/IP on the last virtual interface
on eth0 as its name, fex. when being used for irc or when NFS-mounting
directories. If eth0:n is removed (ifconfig eth:n down), it
changes its name to the one on eth0:(n-1). Since disks are exported to
impala.domain.no and not to fex. webmail.domain.no (which may be the name
configured on eth0:n), this is a bit unconvenient.

This error (bug?) continued also on 2.2.16 and I believe also on 2.2.17
(I am not sure, the box runs 2.2.16 now, but I know someone made it a
2.2.17-kernel).

Anyone having an idea about what is causing this and how to fix it? Is
there some new options introduced in the 2.2.x (x>6) kernel that I
didn't get or see during the configuration?

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.