[techtalk] Gnome question

Andrew Wendt awendt at putergeek.com
Sun Oct 15 15:53:45 EST 2000

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, jenn at simegen.com wrote:
>BobTFish wrote:
>> Ouch, that is probably a bad thing(Tm).. I assume this means you can su to
>> any local user and start xterms on your desktop?

>Um, that's what su *IS*. 'switch user'. And if you can get to root, the
>entire system is open to you.
>
>Colour me 'not understanding what's bugging you'.

I think the "on your desktop" part is what's bugging them.

I'm the only real user of my machine so I don't care about such things, but I
guess on a multiuser box you'd want your ~/.Xauthority to get in the way.

If other people could log in to my machine and start an xterm on my screen
I'd probably notice. But if they can do that, they could also be taking
screenshots or logging my keystrokes.

TTFN
Andy