[techtalk] Gnome question

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Oct 15 15:30:55 EST 2000

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 02:04:51PM +0100 or thereabouts, BobTFish wrote:
> At 13:41 15/10/00, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> >On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 07:46:44AM -0400 or thereabouts, Barbara McMillin
> >wrote:
> > > Oftentimes I find myself in Gnome as guest and I want to change to root.
> > > How is this done on Gnome desktop? Barbara
> >
> >     o open a terminal (xterm or gnome-terminal). Type 'su -' in it
> >     and give the root password. The rest of your gnome desktop is
> >     still guest's. But in that one terminal, you are root, and can
> >     do root things.
> >
> >Unfortunately, you will have to do them at the command line, because
> >there is currently no way to get a second little panel which has the
> >programs which only root can use.
>
> A good trick for if you want to run graphical applications as root, but
> from a normal user's session is to use ssh.

I think I was unclear. You get the graphical application fine. But
you have to invoke it from the command line. You can't use the GNOME
panel and launchers, because they are still owned by guest and will
run as guest. So you have to know what the program is called in order
to be able to start it. And GNOME menus have long names which are
intended to give you an idea of what the thing does, and do not
have the command name itself on them. That's what I meant by "do
them at the command line": _starting_ the app. It comes up as the
graphical thing.

Telsa