[techtalk] su and PATH?

Eva Fenrich eva at faveve.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Oct 13 17:24:14 EST 2000

Hi!
On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 10:06:55AM -0400, Brian Sweeney wrote:
> Quick questions that's been bugging me for some time...if I telnet to a
> machine as a normal user and SU as root, I don't gain any of the root user's
> standard PATH.  So when I try to execute programs I have to specify
> /usr/sbin, or /usr/bin, or whatever.  I'm using bash.
So why do you work as root through a telnet connection? Even if you
telnet to the machine as a normal user everything you type in is in
plain text:
Also your ROOTPASSWORD can be read by everyone in between!!!!
I would suggest to ssh to the remote machine as a normal user and do
'su -l root' or ssh to the machine as root to have an encrypted
connection...

Regards, Eva
Eva Fenrich
Fachschaft Umweltschutztechnik