RFCs (was Re: [techtalk] Mail server)

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Oct 13 13:22:50 EST 2000

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 09:33:40PM -0700 or thereabouts, curious wrote:
> all of the RFC's I posted were "april 1st" RFC's like the infinate monkey
> protocol, ip over avian carriers.. etc..
> I was tring to bring light to reading RFCs by pointing out some of the
> lighter ones..

One of those you posted was the pegdhcp one. If that's the one I'm
thinking of (where you allocate addresses on the basis of "who got
which tent peg"), then at GUADEC this year, I met a guy who well
remembered putting this into practice on a campsite used for a
hacking convention. Apparently you only need three (different
sorts of?) implementations to turn one of the "suggestions,
advisories" sort of RFC into a "this is now a real live
standard" sort...

:)

(Corrections and explanations of RFCs and peg DCHP welcomed: I'm
stopping there because I'm rather hazy on both :))

Telsa