[techtalk] Simple Linux Firewall

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Thu Oct 12 19:56:24 EST 2000

m20bi wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm building a WebDAV/DeltaV playground for a consultant on a Linux box of
> his -- part-time job for this part-time student. On my personal Gateway (W98
> SE), I use the ZoneAlarm freeware because I have a cable modem and the
> Gateway is always connected to the Internet. ZoneAlarm is a firewall for the
> masses -- just download, install and it works without any tweaking -- or
> much understanding on my part. <g> When I run the GRC Port Probe test
> www.grc.com) my Gateway, everything "shows" up as running in Stealth. Makes
> me happy.
>
> Different story on the Linux box (which has its own cable connection to the
> net). It's interaction should be limited to the http (for serving and
> surfing), kibitz, irc (X-chat and BitchX) and maybe, maybe talk.  (No
> email -- I'm content to use Hotmail.) When I run the GRC Port Probe on the
> Linux box, ports 25 (SMTP) and 113 (IDENT) show up as Open. The other ports
> show up as Closed -- not Stealth.
>
> Is there a simple utility I can slap on this Linux box -- similar to
> idiot-proof ZoneAlarm -- that will put all the superfluous ports in Stealth
> mode?
>
> Barbara (using Linux since September 2000)
>
> PS Do I need port 113 (IDENT) for IRC?

One of the things you might do is get "pmfirewall" or "seawall."  Both
of these are scripts that will write your chains for you.  It's a quick
way of getting something up and you can add and subtract to the chains
as you learn.  There is also a hardening script called "Bastille", if I
got the spelling right.  It will help shore your system up.

seawall -- http://seawall.sourceforge.net/
pmfirewall -- http://www.pointman.org/

There is also a book you can download online that is worth your while @
-
http://pages.infinit.net/lotus1/opendocs/book.htm

As an aside I found OpenBSD much easier to use as a firewall.  I find
ipf and nat easier to understand than ipchains and masquerade.
hth,
kent