[techtalk] Partitioning advice (was Disk utilities under Linux)

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Oct 12 03:03:16 EST 2000

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 01:37:09PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Conor Daly thought:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 10:35:00AM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
> Caitlyn M. Martin thought:
> > HI,
> > >

> > > Does /home never need updating?
> >
> > Only when you update your data.  Think of it this way:  if you're running
> > Windows, you could create a shared directory called \home, right?  In it you
> > could have subdirectories for different users, right?  Now, if you put
> > things like word processing documents, spreadsheets, saved games in
> > progress, or whatever in there, why would you need to upgrade it?  See what
> > I mean?
> >

> BTW, I have a little ~3 page doc available giving suggested partition
> layouts for both single and multi disk systems for dual-boot.  There's a
> little bit on what needs to be backed up and what doesn't.  There's even a
> method detailed for the speediest reinstallation of a bad Windows system
> w/o losing your data or appllications.  Using this method, I can
> completely (including applications) restore my Windows side of things in
> under two hours!
>
> I had it posted somewhere on the web but can't remember the URL off-hand.
> If anyone's interested in having a look, give me a shout and I'll hunt
> down the URL.

I've had a number of replies asking for this info so I went and hunted
myself down on geocities.com.  The Partitioning document is to be found at

www.geocities.com/conor_daly/documentation/Disk-Partitioning-Layout.pdf

The rest of the site is still very much under construction and should not
be laughed at...

Enjoy..

Domestic Sysadmin :-)