[techtalk] mysql install on RH 6.1

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Wed Oct 11 09:43:14 EST 2000

the mysql.sock files are created when the mysql server is started.  The
daemon usually ends up in /usr/local/bin, and it's name is safe_mysqld.
If it gets stuck, or the .sock file gets deleted, just kill the process
and start it again.

On RH 6.1 with RPMS, I ran into the issue that i had to create the
directories under /var by hand, so if they're not there, safe_mysqld will
give you an error, because it will want to put that .sock file under its
directory in /var.  the tar install created all the directories itself.

Hope that helps!

--mandi