[techtalk] Moving up.

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Wed Oct 11 00:37:45 EST 2000

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 06:51:34AM -0500, Rod Longhofer wrote:
> I have been a member of this list for awhile. Have been able to help a
> few people with bits of knowledge. Now I am asking for your help. I am
> upgrading my server to a faster more roomier system. I have about 15
> users and several hosted web sites, and various virtual email users. I
> am using RH 6.2 , and know i can backup the /home directory, and copy
> the passwd database over.  I had seen one time the command in this
> mailing list for using tar to do that.

You mean something like this (assuming you have ssh available)?

	tar cf - /home | ssh new-machine "cd /; tar xf -"

(you can replace ssh with rsh if you like.)

>  Anyway, my question is.  does tar keep the files by the owner name or
> UID, this would make a difference as if I hand enter the users again,
> (moving some actual users to just virtual email) for instance, I may
> have different username to UID.  Will the files match the proper UID
> with user name?

The tar command saves using uid. If you are entering users by hand, bear
in mind that you can always specify the uid for new users (I'm not sure
what distribution or tools you are using, but, for example, the useradd
command has a -u option for this).

Cheers,
Malcolm

Malcolm Tredinnick            email: malcolm at commsecure.com.au