[techtalk] Operator shell, sudo and others

Vinnie surmonde at freeshell.org
Mon Oct 9 14:44:02 EST 2000

So I'm working on finding a good way of delegating root privs to non-root
users -- sudo is something of the defacto standard way, but I'm finding
it's not great for what I need to do

what I really need to do is give specific users read and/or write access
to root owned 600 files -- and using group read and write is not an
option. This can be done in sudo using something like

Cmnd_Alias	BLARGH=/usr/local/bin/vi /path/to/where/*

but requires finding a version of vi (or some other editor) that doesn't
allow reading in of other files or shell escapes (rumour has it that
berkeley vi has a secure option that does this...I'm going to play with
that later, but even if that works, deploying sudo *and* a different
version of vi on a billion machines is not my idea of the best solution)

Operator shell (osh) looks like it will do this, but the website
http://www.engarde.com/~mcn/osh.html is down. Does anyone know where I can
find current info on it?

Also, does anyone have any other ideas that I might have overlooked?

Thanks,
V.