[techtalk] UNIX Autoresponder and email aliasing help needed

sara ruohotie ceres at intter.net
Mon Oct 9 11:11:08 EST 2000

hi,

> I want to set up email autoresponses for email on a SunOS 4.x box. I would

i'm not very sure about this, but you'll have to get some program fex
vacation, activate it and make a file called .vacation (or something)
where you write your autoresponse. but i think that you can't exclude
mail addresses from that, meaning that the autoresponse goes to every
mail some users has gotten not looking at the mail addresses where it
has been sent.

> also like to be able to set up email aliases for some of the personal
> email addresses members are using. It would also be nice to have some

this is quite easy. you'll need to do a file /etc/mail/virtusertable
(it might be also in /etc/ depending on the sendmail version) and
edit the file to look like this:

mail at address.diu		user
mail2 at address.pum		user2

sendmail will read that file ONLY when getting email, no more
/etc/aliases or anything will be read. you'll have to have also in
your sendmail.cw file all the domains you wish to use on recieving.
(sendmail.cw is either in /etc/ or /etc/mail/)

i think there are nowadays quite clear instructions on sendmail help
pages, on how to do that.

> autoresponses be tailored to the email alias. The ISP is using sendmail
> 8.9.1 and procmail 3.13.1 but primarily sendmail. Any help would be
> appreciated! :)

well, i'm not sure did i really answer any of your questions, but i
hope you get some information out of that =)

> Lynn

sara