[techtalk] Re: SMP on Linux (lockups)

malke malke at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 4 09:36:48 EST 2000

Hi, all.  Actually, I'd be interested in some of those theories because
I've been experiencing really nasty random lock-ups also.  However, I'm
not running an SMP box - just a AMD K6II 450 on a new Asus Socket 7.  I
have Mandrake 7.1 and almost exclusively use KDE.  I have a small LAN,
just this Linux box and two Windows boxen networked through a hub and
using Samba.  At first I thought it might have something to do with the
network settings, but it isn't consistent.  Then I thought it might have
to do with X-server crashes, but why should it crash?  Another theory
had to do with Netscape (which I hate but, like everyone else, use), but
the lock-ups occur when Netscape isn't open, too.  I don't have anything
weird on my machine, either.  Yet sometimes everything will freeze solid
- Ctrl-Alt-Backspace won't restart X, nothing on the keyboard works, the
mouse (just a normal PS/2 mouse - MS wheel that doesn't scroll in Linux)
is frozen, etc., etc.  My reset button on the box itself does work, but
of course hard reboots are just horrible for Linux.  Also, like Jamie
suggested, I thought heat might be the problem so I bought another fan
for the case and it is nice and cool in there.  However, I had a lock-up
first thing this morning when I wasn't doing *anything*.

I just can't seem to find a reason, commonality, etc. for these
miserable freezes.  I've searched in /var/log, but can't find any
mention of what made Linux die (maybe I'm looking in the wrong log?  I'm
a Linux newbie).  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks for listening :-).

Regards,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers