[techtalk] Best OS for NAT?

Aaron Malone aaron at semo.net
Sun Oct 1 01:22:45 EST 2000

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 09:39:50AM -0400, Kath wrote:
> My school district is planning to switch from WinNT boxes running proxy
> software to Network Address Translation.  I'm gonna try to convince the
> guy from the tech company who does our 'net stuff to use a Linux distro.
> Which one would be the best to use?  I'm favorable towards Debian, what
> are your thoughts?
>
> Or would I be better off to use a BSD, like OpenBSD?

I've been playing with NAT (usually called IP Masquerading on linux) with
Debian 2.2 recently, and find it eminently easy to set up and use with the
'ipmasq' package (apt-get install ipmasq) which will automatically
recompute the masqerading rules for ipchains.

As I haven't tried this on BSD, I can't really comment.  Well, I can
comment that I really like FreeBSD. :)

--
Aaron Malone (aaron at semo.net)
System Administrator                "We learn from history that we learn