[techtalk] Re: [issues] Issues FAQ

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Mon Nov 13 04:40:03 EST 2000

Bek Oberin wrote:

> Jenn Vesperman wrote:
> >    Keep the MTU reasonably down, so that if your
> >    partner's doing a large download your chat packets go out promptly
> >    anyway. Learn what MTU means, and how to set it.
>
> Okay, time to learn.  What's a MTU (max trasfer unit - wild
> guess!) and how do I set it and what does it do?

Yes, it's the max transfer (or transmission) unit: it determines the
largest packet that the router will spit down the modem. Precisely how
it's set depends on the way you're routing packets - for Dancer and I,
that's a debian linux box which acts as our gateway/firewall. I
*believe* (I may be wrong), but I believe we set it using ifconfig.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman
http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/