[techtalk] Quick question about Linux/Mac filesharing

Tomlinson, Molly MTomlinson at rational.com
Wed Nov 1 17:48:16 EST 2000

Amy:

There are a couple of ways you can do this. The quickest way would probably
be to use a package such as NetATalk -- more info on it is available at
http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/ and there is a Linux Netatalk HOWTO at
http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/ .  This should meet your needs just
fine.

Another possible solution is to use Samba (http://us1.samba.org/samba/) for
SMB filesharing and then use a client such as DAVE
(http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html) on each of the Macs. It sounds
tedious, and it's not a freeware solution, but it does allow you the
flexibility of accessing any sort of SMB/Windows share from your Macs. Also,
it uses TCP/IP rather than AppleTalk.  My previous workplace used this
solution with a fair degree of success -- it was a very mixed Mac/PC
environment, and the users could easily share between both platforms.

--Molly