[techtalk] Web-based Linux Desktop

Erin Clarke blue at web.net
Sun May 28 20:54:50 EST 2000

I'd sent this when the list was non-functioning.
The original message doesn't seem to have made
it so I am resending it...

Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 12:43:34 -0400
From: Erin Clarke <blue at web.net>
To: linux at torontowebgrrls.com
Subject: Web-based Linux Desktop

This is a cool site:

http://www.workspot.com

This is a great idea and opportunity for anyone wanting to learn more
about Linux (and KDE) without setting up their own box.

It is basicaly a customizable Linux desktop you can login to from
anywhere you can get to a browser and Internet connection.

You can sign-up for free (service is still in beta tesing) and check it
out. I signed up but it takes a day or two for the request to be
processed, due to demand.

Erin  8)

P.S. I have since set up my account and desktop and its an
interesting arrangement... you are actually allowed access
to a fair amount of the machine serving the virtual desktops.
You also get an email address and webpage... the one main
drawback is that it would be quite slow over anything less
than DSL or cable connections. Even then the response time
is a bit of a wait depending on the number of people logged
in (and my CO's http proxy server, it seems tonight)...

I'd love to know more about the technical implementation
of this... not a lot of back end info on the site... I'll
have to dig around a bit...