[techtalk] Gnome and window managers

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sat May 27 12:47:15 EST 2000

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 01:45:08AM -0400 or thereabouts, joey tsai wrote:
> > If you're not happy about killing things, stop them with 'kill -STOP', do
> > a screen refresh and see what doesn't repaint itself.  And then 'kill
> > -CONT' them when you want them back in the land of the living.
>
> If you should decide and use this method of watching processes to figure
> out what does what, you might as well install gtop.  As you may have
> guessed, it's a gnome version of top.  Plus, right click on a process and
> you can send all the signals you want to it (including STOP/CONT).

Actually, gtop is very funky. It includes features from df, du, free,
and ps as well as top. And it even has a help page now, because I got
bored of flipping between the manual and info pages for all of the
above and wrote it :)

And yes, I'm sorry about the FIXMEs. I was rather hoping that someone
would see them and contribute the answers, but either no-one reads
the help page or no-one else knows the answers either.

If you don't have much screenspace, though, just run top in a terminal.
It's more terse, but the information is there, especially if you muck
about with what it's actually displaying. Once you know what controls
what, and what all these damn atd, gpm, esd, gnome-smproxy and so on
things are, and which is GNOME, and which is the kernel, and which
is a result of something you started, it's a cool feeling. You feel
somewhat more in control of what's going on.

Telsa

PS The gtop help stuff is only in the newer versions of gtop, which
probably require you to have a newish version of libgtop as well.