[techtalk] Need help finding scanner to use w/Linux

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Tue May 23 00:37:53 EST 2000

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Nancy Corbett wrote:

> I'm not very knowledgable about how to research which scanners have
> drivers which work well with Linux.  I need to order a fairly good scanner
> (at least a 600dpi capability, able to handle grayscale & color).  I've
> poked around on the web a bit but haven't found a scanner yet which boasts
> Linux compatibility.  Any ideas?

Check SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy, http://www.mostang.com/sane/) for
what scanners are supported. Rule of thumb: Forget parallel port (they're
crap) and USB (Linux 2.2.x support USB only in a spartanic fashion and
with most distros not out of the box) ones.

NB: SANE is an interface for applications to access scanners under
Linux (Unix?!), comparable to TWAIN under Windows. If you're scanner is
supported by SANE, you can e.g. scan directly out of the Gimp.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de