[techtalk] Adding Solaris 8 to Linux

Moon, Shannon shannon.moon at Rainier.com
Tue May 23 10:20:29 EST 2000

I've got a Intel box up and running RH 6.2 that I need to be able to dual
boot with Solaris. I've set something like this up several years ago (before
I got sucked into the evil world of Window development and rotted my brain
<g> ) but it was adding Linux to an existing Solaris box. Now I need to do
the same thing, but in reverse.

All linux partitions are on the master IDE HD (10GB). I've got a second 15GB
slave drive I'd like to install Solaris 8 on. I know that supposedly the
Solaris 8 boot loader will install onto the MBR of my primary drive, but
that if I move LILO to the 1st boot sector of my primary drive I should be
able to chain load it from the Solaris bootloader.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed without hosing my current linux
setup. I've spent several weeks customizing it, (integrating it into my
network (the cable modem was hell), installing apps, setting up IDEs,
tweaking out X, etc) and I really hate the idea of losing all that work.

Are there any "How-To"s or other resources out there that might be helpful?
I checked the LDP, but the only thing I found was on adding Solaris to the
same drive as Linux, and it seems to assume there is unpartitioned space
free on that drive. That's not the case here-- no unpartitioned space, and I
want to install Solaris on that nice new 15 Gigger.

Any suggestion on how to proceed? Resources to look at?