[techtalk] A question regarding POP3 and Inet..

Jeff Frasca phaedrus at thereactor.cleptoscastle.com
Sat May 20 17:28:30 EST 2000

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Glen Jarvis wrote:

> I was browsing the net to find help for a linux situation I was having and
> found linuxchix.org..  I'm a member of several other mailing lists.. But,
> hadn't heard a reply from them yet..

Probably because it is a heck of a problem.

> So, I thought I'd try here.. I'm not a girl, but I'm gay does that count? :)

Glen, I'm a hetro guy, and they haven't kicked me out yet. ;)

> I have installed default Red Hat Linux 6.1.  Clients on the box like elm
> can send and receive mail.  But, I have not yet told inetd that pop3 can
> be used from other computers on the internet..
>
> I have changed /etc/inetd.conf and uncommented out pop3 (entry copied
> below):
>
> pop-3   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd	ipop3d

Hmm, that's the pop daemon shipped with Pine.  Check to make sure that
did get installed, but I don't see why it wouldn't have been on a
default RH6.1 install...

> I know I need to make an entry somewhere to say go ahead and talk on the
> pop port, but I can't find it.. /etc/hosts.allow doesn't have anything
> but an unrelated portmapper entry on my original machine, so I don't think
> it's there.
>
> Any ideas?

That's a tough one, you might want to check /etc/hosts.deny.  Turning it
on in inetd should be all you need to do to get it to work -- unless you
have a restrictive hosts.access or hosts.deny.  Also, not to be
insulting, but check to make sure the binary is there, maybe run it
manually from the command line, and good luck.  It worked on my Slack 7
install, I'll try it at school on Monday if nobody else comes up with an
answer, or it still isn't working then -- I've got a couple RH6.1
computers there.

Jeff

My Geekcode has moved to my .plan file.
finger phaedrus at 24.5.73.229 for that and other Junk

My Public Key -- http://24.5.73.229/pubkey.txt