[techtalk] perl modules

Lori lori at lanae.com
Sat May 20 15:20:04 EST 2000

Can some of you perl ppl out there point me in the right direction?  I decided
I would like to install a perl module I downloaded from CPAN, that for some
reason did not come with my install: Apache::Debug.  Once before I just stuck a
.pm file to use on an ISP's server, no problem.  But this, I am trying to
install on my own server, and in the tarball was a file 'Makefile.PL' with this
in it:
use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
# See lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm for details of how to influence
# the contents of the Makefile that is written.
WriteMakefile(
    'NAME'	=> 'Apache::DebugInfo',
    'VERSION_FROM' => 'DebugInfo.pm', # finds $VERSION
);

and also a 'test.pl' file with this:
# Before `make install' is performed this script should be runnable with
# `make test'. After `make install' it should work as `perl test.pl'

######################### We start with some black magic to print on failure.

# Change 1..1 below to 1..last_test_to_print .
# (It may become useful if the test is moved to ./t subdirectory.)

print "no tests...\n";

######################### End of black magic.

# Insert your test code below (better if it prints "ok 13"
# (correspondingly "not ok 13") depending on the success of chunk 13
# of the test code):

Typing either make or 'make test' gives me "no target" or "nothing
to do" sorts of errors, and I really don't know what I'm doing at this point -
I still feel lucky to get rpm's installed.  I've used 'make install' on some
apps before, but not with perl stuff.  I tried just taking the file
DebugInfo.pm, sticking it in the dir with all the other Apache *.pm's.  I made
sure it had same permissions as the other ones.  Then when calling it I get a
"undeclared variable" error from the module itself, when using it in a script.
So at least perl can find the module, right?  I'm
trying to use it to debug another script that isn't working, but I don't
understand this Makefile stuff.  Do I really need to do it?

Tune in next week when I try to get DSO modules working... if you know of a
complete newbies guide to installing stuff like this let me know!

TIA,
Lori