[techtalk] changing login shells

Andrew Wendt awendt at neo.rr.com
Fri May 19 19:24:25 EST 2000

On Fri, 19 May 2000, elizabeth ~ wrote:
>hello,
>
>i recently installed caldera open linux 2.4, and i'd like to change my login
>shell from bash to csh, but i can't seem to get it to work!
>
>any advice?

How are you trying to change it? Are there error msgs? It just ignores you?

Does running "chsh" not work?

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you want you could log in as root, and load
/etc/passwd into your favourite text editor.

Look for a line like this that matches your login name:

dole:x:508:100:Bob Dole:/home/dole:/bin/bash

And change the /bin/bash to whatever you want...

If you try that, make a backup first. :-)

TTFN
Andy