[techtalk] network configuring

Caitlyn Máire Maritn caitlyn at netferrets.net
Thu May 18 13:25:56 EST 2000

Hi, Deepa, Laurel, and everyone else,

> (please don't use html mail.)

Absolutely!  On a *nix list, you are always going to have people who prefer
text-based mail readers.

> Excerpts from linuxchix: 18-May-100 [techtalk] network configuring"Deepa
> Karnad"@blr.vsnl. (1539*) by
> > One basic question. How can an IP address be assigned to a host?=20
> > Tried many ways including Lisa. Could not figure out.=20
> > I understand that there should be some way of accomplishing this. How =
> > else does a host know if the destination of a certain arrived packet is
=
> > itself?=20
>
> In unix, the IP address is generally assigned to the interface (such as
> (for linux) eth0 for an ethernet card or ppp0 for a ppp connection) with
> ifconfig.  ie, you tell it and then it knows.  If you use dhcp, ppp, or
> a higher level configuration tool, something else might be doing this for
> you.
>
> You don't specify what OS or distribution you're trying to do this for,
> and I have no idea what Lisa is, so unfortunately I can't help you with
> your specific problem

Lisa is the text-based installer in Caldera OpenLinux, so it's some version
or another of COL.  Deepa, are you trying to do this on a machine which is
already setup, or during install?  If it's during install, if you use Lizard
(the graphical installer on COL 2.2 and above) there is a networking screen
that allows you to enter the IP address, subnet mask, and host name.  If the
system is already setup, did you do the default install with X/KDE?  In 2.2
and 2.3 there is a COAS menu right on the panel.  In 2.4, go to your menus
and click on System->COAS->System -> Networking -> Ethernet.  You just fill
in the boxes.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Caity