[techtalk] network configuring

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Fri May 19 02:42:25 EST 2000

Laurel Fan wrote:

> Excerpts from linuxchix: 18-May-100 [techtalk] network configuring"Deepa
> Karnad"@blr.vsnl. (1539*) by
> > One basic question. How can an IP address be assigned to a host?=20
> > Tried many ways including Lisa. Could not figure out.=20
> > I understand that there should be some way of accomplishing this. How =
> > else does a host know if the destination of a certain arrived packet is =
> > itself?=20
>
> In unix, the IP address is generally assigned to the interface (such as
> (for linux) eth0 for an ethernet card or ppp0 for a ppp connection) with
> ifconfig.

As for how a machine knows IP addresses without using a DNS, the /etc/hosts
file (Debian distribution) records a lot of IPs.

In Debian, at least, the most critical IP addresses are entered during the
installation.

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn