[techtalk] network speeds...

Melissa Plunkett mplunkett at tranquility.net
Wed May 17 02:32:34 EST 2000

This is my first post so hello everyone :)

I just took a look at old freshmeat.net (an excellent source for
linux ware) and found a program I have heard others talk of called
netperf.  It sounds like what you are looking for.  The url
is http://www.netperf.org/netperf/NetperfPage.html and the best
part is that the netperf site has a database where others have
uploaded there stats so you can compare w/ what you are getting.
If that doesn't fit your needs try going to freshmeat and look
through the ware there.

In your first post you also asked about the load stats given
by uptime.  The load is a measure of CPU usage.  Basically a
high number means a lot of process are running or perhaps just
a few CPU intensive processes are running.  Another command you
might want to try is top.  It shows your load averages, CPU
percentages, as well as what processes are running.  I think
it will help to illustrate how everything is related.  Top
is good because it if your load is high you'll want to see
what is causing it so you can find a solution to bring it
down and increase system performance.

Hope that helps :)
Melissa Plunkett