[techtalk] cgi scripts & html output

Shelly L. Hokanson guppy3 at home.com
Tue May 16 19:03:31 EST 2000

ahhh you got the not found error because in my exhaustion i left out part of
the URL!

http://jove.prohosting.com/~tchron/cgi-bin/dforum/forum.pl

i was using input similar to what you typed  (sean) - upon clicking "preview
message", here's a snippet of the source of the resulting preview page
(immediately following the snippet you pasted below) -
<FORM NAME="forum" METHOD=POST ACTION="forum.pl">
  <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="date" VALUE="05/16/2000">
  <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="headerfile" VALUE="200005">
  <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="name" VALUE="testing">
  <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="email" VALUE="testing">
  <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="subject" VALUE="this is a test"><BR>
  ">
  <P><BR>
  <INPUT TYPE="Button" VALUE="Edit Message" onClick="history.back()">
  <INPUT TYPE="Submit" VALUE="Submit Message">
<INPUT TYPE="Hidden" NAME="post" VALUE="thread">
</FORM>
notice after the form input for the subject line, there's a broken tag there
(that was supposed to be the form input for the body of the message). here's
a snippet of the actual screen output: (which you should be able to
reproduce now that i have gotten the URL right!)
Forum - [Submit Preview]