[techtalk] stuck with TCP/IP, win98 and linux

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Sun May 14 23:32:04 EST 2000

Emily the visible wrote:

> Therefore, I'm concluding that the windows box isn't configured
> correctly. I don't have good references for windows boxes and tcp/ip
> (ok, so I don't have *any*). So... if you have a good reference, paper
> or webbed, please pass it on to me.
>
> Emily (who is wondering why it is she's sitting here thinking that at
> least if Dad's box was running linux she would have the documentation
> she needed...)

Trust me, I know that feeling.

Settings/Control Panel/Network is the area for your network
configurations. You need an Ethernet controller and a TCP/IP stack
appropriate for your card. This being Windows, it should be on either
the Windows CD-ROM or on a disk with your cards.

Once you have a TCP/IP protocol for your card installed, select that
and Properties and you get to play 'fill in IP addresses, gateways, etc'.
Having gotten the Linux box running, this shouldn't be too hard. :) It's
a fill-in-form.

There's /some/ things Windows does reasonably well.

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn