[techtalk] how to find prior art/software?

srl slandrum at cs.smith.edu
Fri May 12 12:42:45 EST 2000

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Jeff Dike wrote:

> slandrum at turing.csc.smith.edu said:
> > The project in question: a generic ratings and comments engine for a
> > website. The things being rated could be anything, but site visitors
> > should be able to vote on various survey questions for each
> > (book|movie|restaurant), and add their comments. Visitors should also
> > be able to add (books|movies|restaurants).
>
> > Anyone seen anything like this, or know where I should look? I looked
> > on freshmeat already.
>
> Another thing you could try is look for sites that are run by an open-source
> web app server.  There are only a small number of popular ones - Zope and
> Midgard come to mind.  Find sites that use them, and see if any of them have
> something like what you're talking about.

*nod* I know of Zope, and it seems like one possible Right Solution
here. I don't know as much about Midgard.  Either way, my ideal
solution would be in a language that's commonly found on hosting
providers (PHP, Perl?). So I may ask on the PHP list.

(I don't want to have to run my own server; i only have cable-modem
bandwidth, and I don't trust my skills at securing boxen that much.)

srl
-----
Shane Renee Landrum
slandrum<@>cs.smith.edu