[techtalk] how to find prior art/software?

srl slandrum at cs.smith.edu
Fri May 12 11:08:27 EST 2000

So I had this idea this morning for a piece of software that should
exist, if it doesn't already. Well, more specifically, it exists
already, but not AFAIK as open-source; the online bookstores all
have something like it. How do I find out if anyone's already had
the same idea and/or is working on something similar, before I start
working on a project from scratch?

The project in question: a generic ratings and comments engine for
a website. The things being rated could be anything, but site
visitors should be able to vote on various survey questions for each
(book|movie|restaurant), and add their comments. Visitors should
also be able to add (books|movies|restaurants).

Anyone seen anything like this, or know where I should look? I
looked on freshmeat already.

srl
-----
Shane Renee Landrum