[techtalk] A SIGSEGV problem

Deepa Karnad deepakar at blr.vsnl.net.in
Wed May 10 20:46:49 EST 2000

Hi everybody.
It is sometime now that I asked for help regarding a particular SIGSEGV
problem. The problem was solved today. The real problem was elsewhere and
SIGSEGV must have cropped up as a side-effect.

I had initially worked on the c/c++ pgm in Windows. Had a few data files
that was used in that pgm. Then I had ported the entire pgm AND the data
files to linux using a floppy. The problem lay in the data files themselves
cuz they were not being recognised by linux. Today I created fresh data
files in linux itself. The software program then worked like magic.

While compiling, the memory address used while reading those erroneous files
must have caused the SIGSEGV. Thanks for all the help by everybody who
volunteered.
Deepa