[techtalk] converting netscape(win)mail to netscape(linux)mail

Karolina pgd at algonet.se
Sat May 6 15:25:16 EST 2000

Gabriele Burkel wrote:

> The problem is that I have tons of emails with my Netscape 4.72 running
> on Win98.
> And I hate the thought of losing them all.
>
> So is there a chance, maybe a smart tool for converting my mail folders
> to fit netscape (or any other mail client) running on linux?

I was in exactly the same situation, and I found that
the windows netscape mailboxes are compatible with the
linux netscape version. I lost all the information of
which letters were read, and which were not, but the
letters format themselves are the same.

My previous windows disk is mounted as /d, and my
netscape mailboxes ended up in /d/netscape/Users/karolina/Mail/
The .nsm files, which contains indexes, read flags and
things like that are not compatible. But everything else I
copied to my home directory's sub directory nsmail
When running netscape under Linux, and indexing the mailboxes,
it creates its own index files, but with the name starting
with a period and ending with .summary
After that everything is very near to being the same.
I am using netscape communicator for linux version
4.72.

Right now I even have full colour icons in Netscape. Something
I didn't use to have. But I guess they will be back to
black and white tomorrow. No, Linux didn't solve the
problem with that kind of surprises. Linux netscape also
have its own bugs. Some unique and really annoying,
some the same.

I have tried all kind of mail programs, but I have
found none that can read my mailboxes, and perform the
functions of netscape mail.

Right now I have around 80MB of mailboxes, which I
really would like to have stored compressed, full-text
indexed, for searching and retrieval. If someone
knows a program that can do that, it would make me
happy. I used to do it with Lotus Notes.

-- Karolina