[techtalk] DHCP vs. Static security

Caitlyn Máire Maritn caitlyn at netferrets.net
Fri May 5 13:47:46 EST 2000

Hi, Harry,

>   Your right about that, I guess that I'm kinda thinking of the senario
> where everyone shuts down their computer at the end of the day, thus
> losing their IP, and so every day each MAC addr recievies a new IP.

Not necessarily.  We have our DHCP server set to hold the IP addresses for
seven days.  That way, when someone logs back in, they get the same IP
address.  Our DHCP server is on Windows NT, and I have no idea if other
platform DHCP servers can be configured that way.  My last job used static
IP addresses, which are a royal pain to maintain.

Regards,
Caity