Fw: [techtalk] A SIGSEGV problem

Ellen Venable ev at cabrillo.cc.ca.us
Thu May 4 22:20:20 EST 2000

The message is an error message from g++ letting you know
that the program you are trying to compile is attempting
to access memory that does not belong to that program.
(You are probably running off the end of an array or
dereferencing a pointer that points to memory outside
of that allocated to your program.)  This is not a problem
with g++, it is an error message to help you make the program
that you are writing be correct.  As you say, the program probably
runs fine under Windows, since windows does not do a very good
job of keeping the memory of various programs separate from
one another - hence the frequent crashes when programs
invade one another's memory.... a _real_ operating system
would not allow that to happen :)

You can find the exact line in your source code that is
causing the problem by using a debugger - it takes some
time to learn to use the debugger but is well worth it
in the long run. Try xxgdb or gdb - the gnu debugger
(man xxgdb or man gdb)

good luck!
ev